Sunday, November 18, 2018

Veronica

Veronica -- not a very popular name but one made famous at least for a bit thanks to Elvis Costello and his 80s hit -- Veronica.

When I was growing up, my grandparents on my father's side had a neighbor named Veronica.

Theo and Veronica.

I never had a real connection with them, although, I remember once, when I was only maybe 4 or 5, my grandmother had fallen walking up the inclined yard that was my grandparents' and not being able to help her myself, I yelled to Veronica, who happened to be out in her backyard that day.

By the time she made it over to the fence that separated her yard from my grandparents', my grandmother had been able to get herself up and was walking toward us.

No help was needed (thank God!)

I never gave much thought to Veronica. She was my grandmother's neighbor. She was nice. She worked at J.C. Penney's. Years later, when I was an adult, I caught a glimpse of her working behind the counter. As I walked by, our eyes met, and a glimmer of recognition passed between us, but neither of us acted on it.

I met her gaze, then looked away, and continued on my way.

She turned her attention back to her customer.

I LOVED my grandmother and as an adult, would have loved to have gotten an outsider's view of her. I blew it. Veronica could have provided the link that is missing. And the one chance I got, I blew. How I wish I had had a conversation with Veronica that day.

It's too late now; she and her husband have both passed on. But recently, upon hearing the song that bears her name, I recalled that day as a young child when I went to her for help and that day as an adult when I saw her, recognized her, but didn't take the opportunity to say hello, and perhaps reminisce about Grandma.

Veronica.


No comments:

The Passage of Time

At work, I have one of those "Book-a-Day" desk calendars and each morning, after turning on my computer, as it whirls to life, I r...